Sunday 11 March 2007

Blank Canvas

Blank canvas, my dad always used to tell me that a blank canvas killed a painter, the first thing you do when you are painting it to cover the white. For some reason I was thinking about this morning, it might have been while I was colouring in a sheet of paper but I don’t know. It made me think do we view people as a blank canvas that can be highly influenced by our actions by the colour we paint them, the picture that their life will develop into. Are our lives a blank canvas? Or and we painted on already? I think everyone is born with a colour on them everyone has a different shade, and that it is our lives, the way we act and the people that we meet that influences our painting, we a constantly being repainted.

1 comment:

bobweasel said...

Beautifully put. What you're describing is a long-standing psychological and philosophical debate over "Nature verses nurture". Are we born already programmed to act or behave certain ways or are we totally free of any conditioning and are influenced by our environment? Most people would argue that it's a bit of both, but I really prefer your analogy.